About the SAWSC Student Corps
The United States Geological Survey’s (USGS) South Atlantic Water Science Center (SAWSC) offers part-time and full time entry-level, paid positions in North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia to current students and recent graduates. These positions are ideally suited for talented individuals seeking hands on experience in environmental science, hydrology, physical science, and biological sciences. If you are interested in field work and in building your technical skills as part of a team of expert technicians and scientists focused on water resources in the Southeast U.S., then we want you to be part of the SAWSC Student Corps! Positions for administrative support and information technology may also be available.
See below for information on available positions.
- be at least 18 years of age
- US Citizenship
- possess a valid driver’s license
- show proof of full vaccination against COVID-19
- be enrolled in good standing or a recent graduate (< 1 yr ago) at an accredited High School, College or University
- be able to pass a background check
Build technical skills while collecting water resource data.
Compensation based on education and experience (*)
- High School Diploma: $13.27/hr
- 1+ Years of College: $14.48/hr
- 2+ Years of College: $16.26/hr
- BA/BS Degree (Recent Graduate): $18.19/hr
- BA/BS Degree +1 year Graduate School: $22.53/hr
- MA/MS: $33.35/hr
- PhD: $39.97/hr
* Pay scale may vary by position or location, see job announcement.
Needed to apply
- See job announcement for specific requirements
- A statement of interest (Introduce yourself!)
- A list of relevant courses or transcript
- An up-to-date resume
- Name, contact information and relationship to at least two academic or professional references
If you are selected for a position
You will have approximately 2 weeks to complete additional application forms, and work will begin 6-8 weeks after all forms are completed. Once hired, students will complete required online trainings to operate government vehicles, obtain a USGS email address, and to access government computer systems. Additional trainings will be determined on an as-needed basis. Students will be required to register as a government contractor through the DUNS system and will be issued an official ID card. Assistance with these requirements will be provided to selectees.