- Collection and processing of surface and groundwater quality samples.
- Collection of surface water streamflow measurements and ground water levels.
- Maintain scientific data collection equipment and infrastructure.
- Review, compile, and enter field data into USGS databases.
Physical Demands: Work is physically demanding and includes walking, bending, climbing, and lifting of equipment up to 100 pounds when in the field, sometimes during adverse conditions.
Work Environment: The work is performed in a laboratory or field environment. Field work involves moderate or sometimes extreme exposure to the discomforts of rain, cold/hot weather, and rapidly running or icy streams and rivers. Special safety precautions are required in many cases, and the employee may typically wear life jackets, special safety boots, waders, and special organism handling gear. If selected, you will be required to complete a pre-employment physical.
Duration of Appointment: This is a temporary excepted service position not-to-exceed 1 year but may be extended up to a maximum of 2 years without further competition. Employment may not exceed 180 working days in a service year. All qualified applicants, with or without Federal status, may apply and be considered. Appointment to this position, however, will not convey permanent status in the Federal service.Key Requirements:
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- A valid state driver's license and safe driving record are required.
- Completion of a medical examination at Federal expense.
- A background investigation will be required for this position. Continued employment will be subject to the applicant's successful completion of a background security investigation and favorable adjudication. Failure to successfully meet these requirements will be grounds for termination.
- If selected, you will be required to provide proof of a valid State License and a copy of your driving record.