The purpose of the Chattahoochee River BacteriALERT program is to provide timely notification of potentially elevated levels of fecal bacteria to recreational users of the Chattahoochee River within the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area (CRNRA). Real-time data at three USGS stations are used to estimate levels of Escherichia coli (E. coli) concentrations. E. coli is a fecal indicator bacteria (FIB). It can be used to determine human health risk from waterborne pathogens. Water samples from the Chattahoochee River are collected weekly (typically Thursdays) at three stations within the CRNRA. These samples are analyzed for E. coli bacteria and reported on the BacteriALERT web site within 24 hours. The BacteriALERT network has been active since 2000 and samples collected since that time were used to develop predictive models of E. coli concentrations. These models use turbidity and other data to compute the estimated E. coli levels at the USGS station locations. This provides the recreational user a near real-time assessment of the potential health risks of water-based recreational activities on the Chattahoochee River within the CRNRA. The BacteriALERT data is one of many sources of information the public can utilize to inform their decision to engage in water-based activities within the CRNRA.
BacteriALERT Sampling and Gage Sites
Table may not fit small screens, click and drag table to see more columns.
|Station Location||Station Number||Current Turbidity||Current Estimated E. coli||Last E. coli Sample
Low risk: E. coli ≤ 235 High risk: E. coli > 235
Estimated risk level based on EPA Beach Action Value information.
The public is advised to check the National Park Service Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area (CRNRA) website and other Regulatory agencies for potential river advisories before accessing the river.
- Forsyth County, Fowler Water Reclamation Facility, 4050 Carolene Way, Cumming, GA 30040
- Forsyth County, Dick Creek Water Reclamation Facility, 5155 Westminster, Suwanee, GA 30024
- Forsyth County, Membrane Filtration Wastewater Plant (Shakerag), 553 Kemp Rd. #247, Suwanee, GA 30024
- Gwinnett County, Crooked Creek Water Reclamation, 6556 Plant Dr, Norcross, GA 30092
- Fulton County/Atlanta Water Treatment Plant, 9750 Spruill Rd, Alpharetta, GA 30022
- Fulton County, Wolf Creek Pump Station, 4511 Jones Bridge Cir NW, Peachtree Corners, GA 30092
- Fulton County, Hemphill/Chattahoochee River Water Treatment, 650 17th St. NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
- Fulton County, Roswell Water Treatment Plant, 100 Frank Lewis Dr, Roswell, GA 30075
- Fulton County, Big Creek Wastewater Treatment, 1030 Marietta Hwy, Roswell, GA 30075
- Fulton County, Johns Creek Environmental Campus, 8100 Holcomb Bridge Road, Alpharetta, GA 30022
- Cobb County, RL Sutton Water Reclamation Facility, 5175 S. Atlanta Rd. SE, Smyrna, GA 30080
- Cobb County, Atlanta RM Clayton Water Reclamation Plant, 2440 Bolton Rd. NW, Atlanta, GA 30318
Chattahoochee River near Norcross, GA E. coli
E. coli Parameter Code: 99407 (Turbidity: 63680, Precipitation: 00045)
To change the graph scale, click and drag mouse vertical or horizontal.
To reset the graph scale, double click on the graph.
E. coli Estimation is based on turbidity/discharge data from current location and upstream gages, gaps in Estimated E. coli data could be caused from lack of data at any dependent gage.
Shaded area above/below Estimated E. coli data represents +-1 Standard Deviation Interval.