U.S. Geological Survey Instructional Memorandum
Issuance Date: 07/25/06
Expiration Date: 07/24/07
Subject: National Geospatial Technical Operations Center Commuting Areas
Instruction: Archive Instructional Memorandum OOP-06-002 – Expired.
Reference: 5 CFR 351.203
1. Purpose. The purpose of this Instructional Memorandum is to document the National Geospatial Technical Operations Center (NGTOC) commuting areas.
2. Background. Commuting areas are established in accordance with 5 CFR 351.203. Commuting areas constitute an area for employment purposes. The commuting areas include population centers or two or more neighboring ones as well as the surrounding localities in which people live and can reasonable be expected to travel back and forth to their usual employment. In that the U.S. Geological Survey competitive areas for reduction-in-force (RIF) purposes are defined by commuting area and organization, these commuting areas are the geographic areas in which NGTOC employees compete for RIF purposes.
3. Responsibilities. The Office of Human Resources (OHR) is responsible for establishing bureau competitive areas..
4. Cancellation. Commuting Areas are subject to periodic revision. This IM will remain in effect until July 30, 2007 or until superseded by a revision.
5. Prescribed NGTOC Commuting Areas.
Duty Station is: then commuting area is:
S. Kaye Cook
Chief, Office of Human Resources
Return to Instructional
Return to Survey Manual Home Page