U.S. Geological Survey Manual
308.4 - Operations Council
OPR: Director's Office
1. Establishment. The USGS Operations Council was established by the Director, USGS on November 30, 1994.
2. Purpose and Scope. The USGS Operations Council is a decision making body responsible for assisting the Policy Council by guiding the operational functions of the bureau. Issues addressed by the Operations Council must be strategically focused and future oriented to meet the desired state of the USGS as outlined in the Strategic Plan. Issues may include personnel management, financial management and accountability, internal management control, equipment and facilities management, information technology management, and other appropriate operational functions. The Operations Council reviews and evaluates crosscutting issues relating to specific bureau operations. This includes providing broad oversight to the activities, recommendations and decisions of other bureau councils having an impact on strategic, long-term operational activities of the USGS. The Operations Council develops policies, approaches, and/or solutions to improve operations, including the development and implementation of common business practices. The Council, through its members, is responsible for communicating its decisions.
3. Representation. Decision making membership of the Operations Council will consist of:
Associate Director for Operations (Chair)
Chief of Program Operations (Deputy Chair)
Chief of the Office of Program Planning and Coordination
Associate Division Chiefs for Operations (or their equivalents) for the Divisions of Geology, Water Resources, National Mapping, and Biological Resources
Associate Chief, Office of Program Support
Chief, Office of Personnel
4. Type of Organization. Permanent
5. Staff. Assigned council support staff will be provided by the Program Operations Office, and, as needed, by various components of the bureau.
6. Meetings. Operations Council meetings will be held weekly and at the call of the Chair.
7. Subcommittees. The Operations Council will link and network with other councils and organizational entities to enhance bureau operational functions. The following councils will report to the Operations Council: Human Resources Council, Administrative Management Council, and the Information Council. The Chair of the Operations Council is authorized to establish subcommittees on an ad hoc or permanent basis with the consensus of the members of the Operations Council.
8. Termination Date. None. The charter for this council will be reviewed every 3 years.