Ethics rules regarding working/volunteering for outside entities during a period of Federal government shutdown or while on furlough
- Will Federal, DOI and USGS ethics rules apply to me during a period of Federal government shutdown or if I am furloughed?
Yes, Federal employees remain subject to all ethics laws, regulations and policies during any period of Federal government shutdown or while on furlough.
USGS employees are required to obtain Ethics approval to engage in work or outside activities that are related to their USGS job duties or the USGS mission. Approval must be requested via a Form 9-1510 (available on Webforms).
- What are the ethics rules regarding working for outside entities while on furlough or during a Federal government shutdown?
Outside work must not be in conflict with an employee’s official duties and must not be or appear to be in conflict with the mission of the USGS. See SM Chapter 370.735.5, Outside Work and Interests.
USGS employees may not:
- take any official actions that could affect the financial interests of outside entities with whom they are seeking employment or working;
- work as consultants (paid or unpaid) for outside entities (due to the USGS Organic Act);
- represent outside entities to any Federal agency or department (in their personal capacities); or
- engage in any outside work or have any employment affiliation which might encourage, on the part of members of the general public, a reasonable belief that a conflict of interests exists.
- How do I obtain Ethics approval to work or volunteer for an outside entity during a period of Federal government shutdown or while on furlough?
If the work or activity is related to your USGS job duties or the USGS mission, submit a Form 9-1510 (Request for Ethics approval to engage in outside work or activity) to the Ethics Office.
The Form 9-1510 is available on Webforms or can be downloaded from the USGS Ethics Office website. The Form 9-1510 should be e-mailed to email@example.com as well as to EthicsOffice@usgs.gov. Alternatively, it can be faxed to 703-648-4132 or mailed to the Ethics Office, 12201 Sunrise Valley Drive, Mail Stop 603, Reston, VA 20192.
Work that is not related to your USGS duties or to the USGS mission does not require Ethics approval.
Form 9-1510s will not be able to be reviewed during a period of Federal government shutdown or when Ethics Office personnel are on furlough.
USGS employees who engage in outside work related to their USGS duties or the USGS mission while on furlough or during a period of Federal government shutdown must submit their Form 9-1510 as soon as possible after the period of Federal government shutdown or furlough ends.
If you have questions, you may e-mail EthicsOffice@usgs.gov or call/e-mail Nancy Baumgartner (703-648-7474, firstname.lastname@example.org). The USGS Ethics Office is located in the National Center in Rooms 3A407, 3A416, 3A418 and 3A420.