In Reply Refer To:
Mail Stop 201
To: Cost Center Managers
From: Alfred P. Gargano Chief, Office of Management Services
Subject:Department of Interior (DOI) Required Online Safety Courses
The purpose of this memorandum is to convey local administration responsibilities for online safety and health courses within DOI Learn and to advise you of a new safety course for executives. The Office of Organizational and Employee Development (OED) and the Occupational Safety and Health Management Branch have collaborated to establish the following guidance for online training:
I. Account Setup and Registration:
- New Federal employees must wait until they receive an auto-email from the DOI Learn system with their login username and password. Account creation normally occurs once new employees receive their first pay check and are officially in the Federal Personnel Payroll System. Please be patient, as it could take several weeks for employee information to appear in DOI Learn.
- If absolutely necessary for employees to receive safety training before a DOI Learn account has been created, employees can access downloadable versions of most U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) online safety training courses at the following link:
http://www.doiu.nbc.gov/trainingcds/safetytraining.html#USGSExecutiveSafetyOrientation. Upon completion and as soon as a DOI Learn account has been created, employees must then register for the course in DOI Learn and provide the course completion certificate to their assigned Supervisor. The assigned supervisor will need to mark the training as Complete in the DOI Learn Gradebook.
- Employees can register for a safety training course in DOI Learn by completing the following steps:
- Go to the USGS Human Capital Training-DOI Learn website at: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/ecd/ecd_trainingdoi.html
- Click on “DOI Learn Log On” (here is the direct link): https://gm2.geolearning.com/geonext/doi/login.geo
- Login using your Username and Password
- Click on the icon labeled “Search the Catalog Register for a Course” to search and register for the desired course. Any input course names must be exact. Use the Advanced Search feature if needed. Note: Input of “Safety:” will pull up a list of all online courses with safety within the name. See USGS Occupational Safety and Health Program Requirements Handbook (SM 445-2-H), Appendix 14-1 for a detailed listing of all safety training requirements.
II. Initial One-Time Training: Employees can self-register for online courses using the steps outlined below.
- Safety Orientation Training for Newly Hired Employees
- Executive Safety Orientation (GS-14s and above)
- Updated Executive Safety Training course: “Safety: Authorities, Roles, and Responsibilities for Executives.” The Department of the Interior Occupational Safety and Health Office recently revamped this course to facilitate meeting mandatory 29 CFR 1960 training requirements and promotion of safety awareness for individuals responsible for providing safe and healthy work environments. This training will be automatically assigned to all GS-14, 15 and Senior Executives employees and is required to be completed within 90 days of assignment.
- Supervisor Safety Orientation (GS-13s and below who supervise employees).
- Collateral Duty Safety Program Coordinator Safety Orientation (All Collateral Duty Safety Program Coordinators)
- Field Employee Safety Orientation (All non-supervisory employees who work in laboratories and/or perform field work and who are exposed to a hazardous environment: hydrologists, loading dock or warehouse workers, etc.)
- Administrative Employee Safety Orientation (All non-supervisory employees who perform primarily administrative work that is not in a field environment: computer technicians, secretarial/administrative support, etc.)
- Executive Safety Orientation (GS-14s and above)
- Collateral Duty Safety Program Coordinator Safety Training
Initial training within 45 days of appointment, initial training within 180 days of appointment, and annual recurring training as described at the following link: http://internal.usgs.gov/ops/safetynet/CDSPC%20Safety%20Training%20Informational%20Sheet-%2012-9-11.doc.
III. Recurring Safety Training: Should a locality desire to require employees to use online
DOI Learn training to meet recurring refresher requirements, the locality should consider having a trained Learning Plan Roster Manager assign the course(s). OED trains on this role which can be used to assign courses to employees’ learning plans after employees have taken the initial course through self-registration in DOI Learn. This allows employees to retake the course multiple times and print out course completion certificates with new completion dates.
The DOI Learn system will track expirations, recertification due dates, and completions so that employees are aware of their current status and when they are due for retraining. Online courses that may be considered for this application are as follows:
- Examples of courses that can be reassigned:
- 8-Hr Refresher for Hazardous Waste Site Operations (Safety: USGS 8-Hour HAZWOPER Refresher) (Required Annually)
- Hazards Materials (Safety: DOT Hazmat Marking and Labeling) (Required every 3 years)
- Some course completions trigger the course to be automatically reassigned. An example of a course that will notify an employee of the need to retake the course is:
- Defensive Driving (NSC Defensive Driving II – revised) (Required every 3 years)
Assigning online courses for recurring training in DOI Learn is not recommended if the locality desires to use other outside venues such as the OSHA Education Center, National Safety Council, or other forums to meet these refresher training needs. In the latter case, external courses taken outside of DOI Learn can be uploaded into the person’s transcript via SF-182 as an external training record. This process can be managed by either the employee or the employee’s Supervisor who is assigned to them in the DOI Learn Profile. How To’s and FAQs on this process and others can be found here: http://www.usgs.gov/humancapital/ecd/ecd_trainingdoi.html
The attachment to this correspondence is provided to facilitate employee understanding of Local, Area, and Headquarters training support roles and compliance with safety training requirements. Questions related to DOI Learn may be directed to the DOI Learn Help Desk at 866-466-1998, firstname.lastname@example.org or the USGS DOI Learn Support Team at email@example.com. Questions concerning this correspondence may be directed to David Choiniere, firstname.lastname@example.org, 703-648-7553. For inquiries regarding specific safety training requirements, please direct them to your respective full-time safety and health staff listed at http://internal.usgs.gov/ops/safetynet/safetymap.html.