US Topo - 2 of 29
US Topo FAQs - 29 Found
Yes. The following applies to US Topo GeoPDF and the Historical Topographic Map Collection (HTMC) GeoPDF. In bulk delivery requests, please specify which of these two product series you want. There is no charge for the following services, but the customer bears the portable drive and pre-paid shipping costs of option 2. Options 3 and 4 provide ways to keep a private collection current. See notes at the bottom of this FAQ for approximate dataset sizes.
(HTMC maps are also served in GeoTIFF, JPEG, and KMZ through the TopoView application, but only the GeoPDF versions are currently available for bulk delivery.)
1. Batch download. We recommend this option for state-size areas, roughly 1,500 maps or fewer. The National Map download client allows maps to be selected over any rectangular area, or predefined areas such as counties or states. The resulting product list can be saved to a CSV file, and this file used as input to the uGet download manager application to retrieve all the maps.
2. Portable disk drive. If you ship us a portable disk drive with prepaid return shipping, we will load the drive with maps and return it to you. We recommend this option for larger numbers of files, up to the entire map collection. For more details, send a message describing your requirements (including product type and State(s) of interest) to email@example.com.
Hard drive shipping is intended for one-time or infrequent deliveries. Users who wish to keep a private collection continuously current are encouraged to use options 3 and 4 to monitor US Topo production and retrieve new maps. We do not have a subscription service for notification of new maps, nor do we coordinate disk-drive deliveries with production milestones; requests for bulk delivery are queued as we receive them and answered as quickly as other work permits.
3. CSV database dump. The data needed to create download scripts is available at US Topo and Historical Topographic Map Collection. This application allows searching for subsets of US Topo and HTMC maps. Search results can be saved to a CSV file, which includes a download URL for each map. (The applications of point 1 have similar features). In addition, a complete CSV dump of the database is refreshed nightly and posted to the same page. The information in this complete file can be used for more sophisticated filtering, version control, and to keep private collections of maps up to date. This option is for advanced users; we do not provide tutorial assistance.
4. Catalog API. USGS product databases can be monitored through the API of the ScienceBase catalog. This is similar to option 3, but is more elegant and powerful. See https://my.usgs.gov/confluence/display/sciencebase/ScienceBase for documentation. This option is for skilled Web programmers.
- Median file size = 24 MB
- 55,800 current maps, 1.58 TB total
- 83,600 non-current (superseded) maps, 1.92 TB total
- About 75 new maps are added each work day.
- Median file size = 11 MB
- 178,800 files, 2.14 TB total
- This collection is relatively complete and stable, though we estimate that between 10,000 and 20,000 additional maps will eventually be added.